Newport Waspies

Speedway

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Green light for Newport

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
tanya
Grand Prix Star

Female
Number of posts : 5627
Team : Newport Wasps
Registration date : 2007-11-13

Waspies
Roll Dice: 1

PostSubject: Green light for Newport   Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:46 pm

Green light for Newport
by Bob Radford
(Speedway Star)

Speedway is definitely on its way back to Newport in 1997 - 20 years after the sport's 14-year long residence at the now demolished Somerton Park ended.  

Promoter Tim Stone has kept very quiet since he obtained full planning permission from the Borough of Newport - but now he is preparing to meet some of the potential fans and the press.

"Work has already started on clearing the 7.3 acre site.  Roche, who are one of the biggest contractors in South Wales have already been working on clearing the site for a week - and the base for the grandstand is going in, " said Stone.

After attending a get-together to lauch an intermediate League next Monday (November 11) Stone will call a press conference to which all supporters are invited at one of the suites at the Hilton National Hotel in Newport.

"For fans coming from Bristol or the east, it is the second exit off junction 24 of the M4.  I am going for an 8pm start because I will have spent the day in Rugby, and while I don't suppose we will have anything like all the answers it is time for an official launch," he said.

"At this stage, I hope to explain to people what I hope to see as speedway comes back to Newport in 1997.  We will have the BSPA stand and a bike there and I'm hoping Alun Rossiter will come down as the host on the mike.

"It is important to me to hear what the supporters would like.  There are many, many people who have not been to a speedway meeting since Newport closed at the end of 1977.  Some have even come down to look at the site as it is now, he revealed.

"I know I will not be in a position to answer all of the questions the fans will ask but this is a starting point.  There have to be a lot of talks for a league like this to get underway which I very much hope it will.  

"At this stage, all I can say is that I want to run as many meetings as possible.  Things like race-night are up in the air - we will have to get lighting in before we can race at night anyway.

"I'd also like to hear what the fans want as the team name.  It's easy to think everyone wants Wasps or Dragons or whatever.  I'm there to listen as well as to outline my plans.

"All I can do is emphasise that everyone is welcome, I will tell them as much as I can and listen to all constructive and practical opinion," he pledged.

Scotland has twice as many pandas as Conservative MPs.   Very Happy  scotland
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Green light for Newport
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1